Posted by Heather Evans on June 11, 2018
| Last Updated: April 19, 2022
Registry Now Open – Luau Lei Making Class
Get ready for summer in the best way – register you and your friends for our workshop on Wednesday, July 11th from 6-8PM where we will explore the popular art of orchid leis. We are so excited to share this Hawaiian inspired design skill with you just in time for summer festivities! If you can’t make it to our class but are still interested in learning to make your own Hawaiian lei, here are some step-by-step instructions on how to design your very own.
What you’ll need –
- Approximately 5 stems of orchids (color of your choice)
- Fishing wire
- Sewing needle
What you’ll do –
- Cut a piece of fishing line to the length that you want your lei to be and include a few inches to tie off. You’ll want the lei to fit over your head.
- Thread the needle with the cut fishing line. Tie a knot a few inches from the end of the line.
- Remove all of the dendrobium orchid blooms from the stems including the small piece of stem that is still attached to the flower.
- Insert the needle through the base of the flower and slide the flower down the length of the fishing line stopping at the knot.
- Repeat this step until you use all of the orchids.
- Tie the loose ends of the lei together and wear like a necklace!